Sometimes you just have to take life one day at a time. I’m reading this book about giving thanks for everyday things like dew drops and bubbles. So, I’ve started a journal to record these things in my own life.
Today’s project is a home made from scratch (I know, redundant) cake for my dear friend Steph‘s birthday extravaganza. I hope she knows I love her, because I simply hate whipping egg whites. They never work right for me! Also this is a perfect opportunity to knock out some MtAoFC recipes. I’ll be using two for this recipe. I think that this will be the best one yet!
With out further adulation, I give you Reine de Saba aux Glacage au Chocolat. Or in English Chocolate and almond cake with chocolate-butter icing.
Reine de saba
( MtAoFC vol 1, pg. 677 -679 )
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 lb butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup pulverized almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup cake flour
Clacage au Chocolat
( MtAoFC vol 1,pg 684 )
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 5 to 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
Here goes nothin’
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pulverize Almonds.
6. Cream butter and sugar for several minutes.
10. Then blend chocolate into butter and sugar mixture.
- Place chocolate and rum in small pan and set over larger pan of simmering water.
- Let chocolate melt off of heat