Sumarterta (Icelandic Summer Skyr Tart) From One Perfect Bite. Was so very easy to make. I whipped it up Sunday morning before all the festivities began. Though I hadn’t (bad habit) read the whole recipe before I began and so I did not realize that it had to be refrigerated for at least six hours before serving. So, in my infinite wisdom I placed it in the freezer thinking that will make it go faster. Then hubby and I went on our merry way to my friend’s brunch event. My plan was that we’d swing by the house and pick up the tart before we left to go out of town for the family event. However, we left my friend’s house late and decided to skip picking up the tart. Well long story short, the tart sat in the freezer for the amount of time it should have sat in the refrigerator. The tart didn’t seem to suffer from this freezing.
Then we did not eat the thing until the next day. I loved it. So light and fluffy, but it upset hubby’s tummy, too creamy. Oh, well I enjoyed every last bite.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup warmed strawberry jam
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup yogurt cheese
- 1 (3-oz.) package cream cheese
- 12 strawberries, cleaned & halved
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 11 or 12-inch spring form pan and dust it with flour.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and butter.
- Mix with finger tips until coarse crumbs form.
- Add almond extract to egg and stir into crumb mixture, mixing well.
- Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden.
- Set aside to cool.
- When cool brush surface with strawberry jam.
- With a mixer, combine yogurt cheese with cream cheese and beat until combined and smooth.
- In a clean bowl, whip egg whites with a small dash of salt until frothy.
- Add sugar and continue beating until the whites become stiff.\
- Fold cheese mixture into egg whites.
- Spread over cooled crust.
- Sprinkle with toasted almonds and decorate with strawberry halves.
- Chill tart for at least 6 hours.