What to do with the remaining two poached chicken breasts from Tuesday’s night dinner poached chicken with creamy mushrooms.
Why, I think some soup sounds good. Vegetable soup to be precise.
As I was throwing this all together I discovered that I need a larger stockpot (hint, hint so someone who might by me a present). As I added ingredients and the liquid level began to rise higher and higher coming very close to the rim. So, I had to cut back on some of the ingredients that I had planned to add and remove some of the liquid.
Luckily this soup called for it to be simmered uncovered and it reduced down enough that I could add the liquid (previously removed) back. YAY!
Alex said he wanted it to have spicy sausage in the soup. So, tonight I’ll be add some andouille sausage into the mix for night number two of soup.
Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 poached chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 2 pound red potatoes, cut into bit-sized pieces
- 1/2 pound of carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-pound frozen lima beans
- 1-pound frozen niblet corn
- 1/4-pound frozen cut okra
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned
- Add chicken broth, potatoes, carrot, lima beans, corn, okra, tomatoes, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer, uncovered for 1 hour.