Oh, it’s just a Saturday in January. The last day of the worst week of the year. Not my worst week, but in general this past week is the worst week of the year. I thought that fact was interesting.
Today, I’ve been working on my last assignment in language, other than language materials that need to be made for my future classroom. I’m on page ten of the paper and I still need to discuss music, literature, and history. But, that’ll be for another day.
Today is a day for baking a cake.
Not just any cake a Julia Child Mastering the Art of French Cooking cake and frosting.
Biscuit au Beurre
MtAoFC pg 669
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter and flour a cake pan (recipe calls for a 10 inch diameter and 2 inches deep)
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool
- Gradually beat the sugar into the yolks.
- Add vanilla and continue beating for several minutes until think and pale yellow ribbons form, set aside
- Beat egg whites and salt together to form soft peaks
- Sprinkle on 2 tablespoons of sugar, whisk to stiff peaks
- Add 1/4 of stiff egg whites to yellow mixture, sift on 1/4 of the flour gently fold until partially blended
- Then add 1/3 of the remaining egg whites to yellow mixture, sift on 1/3 of the remaining flour gently fold until partially blended.
- Repeat with remaining 1/2 of both whites and flour. Add 1/2 the butter.
- Mix in all the remaining ingredients.
- Turn into the prepared pan
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool for 8 minutes
- Remove from pan and cool completely before frosting
Creme au Beurre, Menagere
(Butter Cream I – with powdered sugar)
MtAoFC pg 681
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 ounces melted, semisweet, baking chocolate
- 6 ounces of softened, unsalted butter (1 & 1/2 sticks)
- Rinse a bowl with hot water
- Dry bowl
- Place all ingredients in the bowl
- Beat at a moderate speed for 5 minutes
- Chill until cold but still malleable
- Frost cake!
And that my friends is how you conquer a day.
I hope everyone enjoys the three day weekend (if you get one).