(Julia’s Kitchen Wisdom pg. 81)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup tepid water
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 cup cold water, plus more if needed
- 3 & 1/2 cups organic bread flour
- 1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour
- 2 & 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Proof yeast in tepid water with sugar for 5 minutes
- Measure flours and salt into stand mixer with a dough hook
- With mixer running slowly add yeast and cold water
- Mix until dough balls up, then for 8 to 10 more revolutions.
- Let rest for 5 minutes
- Process dough for another 15 seconds
- Remove to a floured surface
- Let rest for 2 minutes
- Knead dough 50 times
- Put dough in ungreased bowl
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for an hour
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface push and pat into 14 inch rectangle
- Fold rectangle into thirds
- Cover and let rise for 1 to 1& 1/2 hours
- Cut dough in half and fold in half each piece
- Push and pat both into 8 by 10 inch rectangular shapes
- Fold in half lengthwise
- Press and pound firmly to seal
- Roll dough so the seam is centered on top
- Stretch to 18 inches long
- Let rise for 1 to 1 & 1/2 hours covered
- Bake side by side on a pizza stone at 450 degrees for 20 minutes
- Reduce heat to 400 degrees for 10 minutes until done
And it was fabulous. Though I need more practice with bread.
In other news we have arrived home to Portland after a week in the California Sunshine. We came back with all of this great loot!
Additionally, with the money we had been saving and a bit extra from Christmas we were able to finally get this beautiful Le Creuset seven piece set!
I cannot wait to use these beauties in the kitchen!