Well the new year has come and gone.
We are already two weeks into the new year and I have already caught a cold from the children in my class. I spent all day on Saturday laying on my couch with a fever, watching the Vampire Diaries. Luckily my fever broke and I was feeling better enough to make it into work today. Tonight I have re-instituted meatless Mondays. One of my goals for the new year is to eat less meat. Some days I’m doing great with this endeavor. Other days I’m just a giant carnivore. I really do not apologize for my meat eating, but I would like to incorporate more fruits and vegetables.
For my other goal of reading 52 books this year, I have read two!
Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna
Inspired by many recipes on Pintrest
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 7 oz canned kidney beans (about half a can), rinsed and drained
- 1 & 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 box of oven ready lasagna noodles
- 8 oz shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Splash of hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, and spices
- Spread a thin layer of tomatoes on the bottom of a 8 X 8 inch glass baking dish
- Layer with noodles, bean mixture, tomatoes, cheese, and hot sauce.
- Top layer will be noodles, tomatoes, and remainder of cheese
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes
- Let stand 10 minutes
- Cut and serve.