I spent the whole day yesterday laying on the couch feeling nauseous and watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Today I thought I should do something. Something for our afternoon meal date with Alex’s law school friends and their significant others.
Out comes my trusty the complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook and I make a Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake with Vanilla Buttercream.
Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake (pg 112)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a small sauce pan over a larger pan of simmering water on low heat for about 5 to 10 minutes
- Stir occasionally until smooth
- Remove from heat and let cool
- Preheat oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease and flour two 9×2-inch round cake pans
- Line the pan bottoms with wax paper
- In a bowl sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until smooth
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Add chocolate, mixing well until incorporated
- Add the dry ingredients in three parts alternating with buttermilk and vanilla, beating well after each addition
- Divide the batter between pans and bake for 25 to 35 minutes
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes
- Remove from pans and completely cool on wire racks.
- Then ice between layers and on top and sides.
Vanilla Buttercream (pg 127)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place butter in mixing bowl
- Add 4 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- Add milk and vanilla
- Beat until smooth on medium speed
- Gradually add remaining sugar 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to spread.